Very common throughout New Zealand. Regularly found in warm dry areas such as garages and storerooms.
- Found in webs which are commonly low down and in corners, especially in areas where there are boxes and stored items. Rarely roams away from own web, however can be found in shoes or clothing left on floors.
- Highly poisonous. Bites have caused fatalities. Female most dangerous as male is very small and fangs usually unable to penetrate skin. Fangs on female also small and the main reason more bites are not lethal. Antivenin available.
- Can be transported large distances in boxes and packing.